March 31, 2014
Greater New Haven Opening Doors:
Re: New Haven Shelter Plus Care Safe Haven Opening
Dear Steering Committee:
New Haven Shelter Plus Care currently has one opening for a unit at Liberty Community Services’ Safe Haven project. These are efficiency units with all utilities included in the rent.
Priority for these certificates will be based on the time and date the application is received. A waitlist will not be kept for these certificates. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
To be eligible for this unit, the following criteria must be met:
- Must be chronically homeless (See definition below)
- Documented Axis I diagnosis
- Documented HIV/AIDS diagnosis
- Must be a documented citizen or in compliance with INS
- Must be 18 years or older
- Exclusion: Criminal histories of second degree assault, arson or sex offenses requiring being on SOR.
Applicants will need to provide a detailed homeless history identifying that they meet the definition of chronic homelessness. The Department of Housing and Urban Development defines “Chronic Homelessness” as:“A person is an unaccompanied homeless individual with a disabling condition, or a family with at least one adult member who has a disabling condition, who has been either continuously homeless for a year or more OR has had at least four (4) episodes of homelessness in the past three (3) years. An episode of homelessness is a separate, distinct, and sustained stay in a place not meant for human habitation, on the streets, in an emergency homeless shelter and/or in a HUD-defined Safe Haven. A chronically homeless person must be disabled during each episode.”
The Greater New Haven Screening and Referral Form for Permanent Supportive Housing Programs can be found on the following websites:
· Original, signed Screening and Referral Form (revised date 10/28/13)
· Disability Verification form signed by licensed mental health or substance abuse professional (psychiatrist, psychologist, nurse, social worker, etc.) or medical doctor. The form must be completed even if additional clinical information is provided. The form must include the provider’s license number.
· Homeless Verification form with an accompanying letter from shelter or outreach staff describing the applicant’s homeless history and currently living situation.
Complete applications can be hand-delivered or mailed to:
New Haven Shelter Plus Care
319 Peck Street
New Haven, CT 06513
The referring provider will be notified by fax if an application is accepted, ineligible, or incomplete. Since the applications will be accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis, it is exceptionally important to ensure that applications are fully complete.
Please disseminate this information to those in your organization who work with chronically homeless individuals and who have a qualifying disability. Please contact Lauren Castiglioni at 203-764-6334 if you have questions or to make a referral.
Leigh Shields-Church, LCSW
New Haven Shelter Plus Care